Monday, August 9, 2010

"That's a Dumb Rule." - An old Argument

A friend of mine started a firestorm on Facebook. She simply asked for the thoughts of her friends concerning new policy presented by their church's Christian school. The policy: No student or teacher would be allowed to have an active account on Facebook during the school year. I was not surprised by the response of some her Christian friends. However, I was grieved by how fierce and bitter the attack was: not by the lost world, but by Christians. The following is my response to her:

"First I want you to notice the tenor of those who opposed the church's position. Do you hear the bitterness in their words? I've heard it before. This is a seed of rebellion you hear.

Obviously, I don't have a problem with being on FB. My church has a FB page. What you have is not a problem with FB. Its controlling the effects it has a the venue of a Christian school. Its not the position but the direction that is a concern of the church. Let me explain.

You know, we adopted kids out of foster care. Often I would correct one of them for actions that seemed harmless enough to the passive observer. But I knew my kids. People would say, "Why are you so hard on them?" My response was, "Because I know where this is going."

We never let our kids on social network sites. My kids didn't have cell phones until they graduated high school. Actually, there are a lot of private non Christians schools who have the same ban.

If I'm famous for one saying, it would be, "Everybody likes my pie but nobody wants my recipe." The school is a school, not a home. It has to operate in a different perameter with different objectives. My advice to you is, trust the recipe; it works.

For those angry detractors, I would simply say, its a private school. If you don't like the rules, don't send your kid there. I hope you know we love you and your family. I hope you don't take too much flack from either side. Whatever happens, walk with God. Take care."

I hope she has the courage to do the right thing. I hope she decides time off from Facebook is a small price to pay for a great Christian education. I grow so weary of the small Christians who never want to be told what to do. Just a thought. Thank you for reading.


If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?

Jeremiah 12:5


No comments:

Post a Comment