Saturday, August 14, 2010

Uncertain Signs

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

1 Peter 1: 19-23



Driving from Davenport, Iowa across the Centennial bridge brings you across the Mississippi River and into down town Rock Island, Illinois. Coming off the bridge, I see this sign pole. I'm not sure what this sign is telling drivers not to do. I know I can't turn right. I guess it means, "Do not turn right; don't even think about it from any direction; no way no how!" It doesn't make since, but after all, it is Illinois.
I drive a lot: approximately 150 to 200 miles a day. I need the signs to make since. I need the maps on my GPS to make since. Its O.K. that the nice woman's voice can't pronounce Des Moines properly, I just need to know how to get there.

I am, concerned about the church today. C
hristianity as a whole does not seem to be able to read the signs. If Christians do not know what road to take, how can we then give direction. There are too many Christians with an opinion, with a philosophy about what it is to have a relationship with God. Religion in America has become a vague eclectic soup. Any ingredient is acceptable, as long as its warm and it tastes good. This brand of Christianity is the best sign we have of the end times.

Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing:

and a wise man’s heart discerneth both time and judgment.

Ecclesiates 8:5


1 Peter says we have a "more sure Word of prophecy." Even though I may not like the message, I thank God He gave us one. I thank God the Scripture is not given to private interpretation. I don't want a Bible or a church that agrees with me. I want a Bible and a church that professes, "Thus saith the LORD, Now get in line." The Bible is better than miracles. Its better than signs and wonders. I would rather have the Bible than a voice from Heaven or an angel with trumpet. (It would be neat to see one of those, but you get my point.)

The Bible is a more sure Word of Prophecy. Thank God! The road might be rough at times, but thank God its plain.

Just a thought.
Thank you for reading



No comments:

Post a Comment