Friday, May 8, 2009

Confessions of a Bi-vocational Pastor


I am at home this afternoon with my "bestest buddie." The one who calls me "Pops." Elisha Mark is five years old. He loves trains, cars, Transformers and hot dogs. That is what is on our agenda for today. I was very close to my maternal grandfather. Rev. H.F. Harris was a bi-vocational pastor. I spent every spare moment I could with him.

My grandfather's presence was big part of my formative years. I was his "pick of the litter," and everyone knew it. He was a furniture re-finisher by trade. I have been with him to deliver his work to some of the finest homes in Dallas, Texas, where I am from.

Papaw died at a little after midnight on December 20th 1977, the day after my eighteenth birthday. My last conversation with him, he told me all my talents and abilities were from God, "You use your ta
lent for the Lord; don't waste it serving the world." he said to me.

As I stand in my pulpit 32 years later, I see that little man back there on the back pew; the one who calls me "Pops." I feel the duty my grandfather must have felt when I sat in his pews as a boy. God grant me the faith, the strength, the love and the wisdom to shape that little boy. The one who calls me "Pops."

Just a though. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Brother Cannon I did not know you were old enough to be a Grandpa?

    ReplyDelete