Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fellowship Sunday


"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship,
and in breaking of bread, and in prayers." Acts 2:42

Today was fellowship Sunday at our church. We have made this a regular tradition at All Seasons Baptist. It is always a well attended service... Of course it is... we have food! Reminds me a story I heard.

A school was holding "Religious Emphasis Week." (No, that's not the joke. Stay with me.) The students were invited to to bring for "show and tell," Something significant to their faith. On that day, the teacher went around the room recognizing each student.

"O.K. Mary," the teacher began. "What did you bring today?" Mary held up a set of small black beads on a chain. "I'm Catholic, teacher. This is my rosary."

"Very good, Mary!" the teacher said turning to little Levi in the next seat. "And what did you bring Levi?" Levi stood wearing a small flat cap on his head. "I'm Jewish; I wore my yamika."

The teacher went through the class listening to all the explanations of prayer rugs, statues, incense and other religious artifacts. She became a little confused when she got to Suzie's desk.

"Suzie, I don't understand why you brought that. This is a day to recognize our religion."

"I know," Suzie replied proudly holding up a large square object. "I'm Baptist! and this is my casserole."

Just a thought. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. How funny! Brother Mark even Baptist in Croatia are known for their food. You may be on to something.

    ReplyDelete